Homegrown & Local Since 1945
McDonald Garden Center was founded more than 65 years ago to provide the people of Hampton Roads a wide selection of high-quality products and services to enhance and beautify homes and gardens throughout all seasons. As a family owned and operated business, strong family values continue to be at the core of the business
Even at it inception, McDonald Garden Center began as a partnership between two brothers in 1945 in Hampton, Virginia. In 1973, Eddie Anderson and his wife Sara purchased the garden center. With a passion for plants and a commitment to improving the quality of life through the business of gardening, McDonald Garden Center continues to grow in both size and structure with three year round Garden Centers, seasonal Garden Markets and a Production Facility.
In January 2012, McDonald built on its 67 year legacy and announced Mark Anderson as President of McDonald Garden Center as second generation to assume leadership of the family owned business. Mark began his career at a young age in the nursery business. Graduating from Virginia Wesleyan College with a degree in Business Administration, Mark has held managerial responsibilities in most every area of the company, including Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, Production, Landscape, Logistics, and various product groups including Annuals, Perennials, and Hard goods. Mark has also served as Chief Controller, managing all financial and accounting operations of the company. And, most recently assumed the role as Garden Market Director, launching the McDonald Garden Market division.
Eddie Anderson, who after more than three decades as President of McDonald Garden Center continues to be involved in houseplant buying as well as offering strategies on merchandising and selling to the McDonald Garden Center stores and Garden Markets. Mr. Eddie Anderson continues with industry affiliations and new product development.
That same passion has been the driving factor for nearly four decades for the Anderson family and what keeps McDonald Garden Center going strong since 1973.