It's that tasty time of year where treats are aplenty, and sweet sensations steal the scene. A way to bring a bit of freshness into the festivities is by using one of our favorite fruits, persimmons. A beautiful and vibrant edible, persimmons add a depth of flavor with a brightness that fits well into any holiday menu.
We know how easy it is to get caught in the hustle and bustle, so we're bringing you two ways to prepare this fantastic fruit. The first is from our very own Chef Manu, a complex yet achievable torte with layers of hazelnut biscuit, persimmons mousse, and chocolate mousse. The second, is a quick but delicious creation from McDonald Garden Center founder Eddie Anderson. With these two greats offering up their recipes- how can you go wrong?
Cuisine de Jardin with Chef Manu - Hazelnut Persimmon Torte
A work of art with delicate, fluffy layers of flavors, this Hazelnut Persimmon Torte adorns your holiday table like a star on a Christmas tree.
- 1 cup Hazelnut flour
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- ½ cup Butter, softened
- 3 Eggs
- Almond extract, 2 drops
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar Fruit 10
- 1 1/2 tsp. Gélatin.
- 9 oz. chocolate
- Fresh raspberries, 1 small carton
- In a bowl mix softened butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at the time. Next, add hazelnut flour and the almond extract. Press in a sheet pan and cook at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. When done, remove from oven and let cool.
In a bowl, mix the cream and the sugar until creamy. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Open the persimmon fruit and extract the pulp and place in the pan on the stove to warm. Add the gelatin and let cool for 10 minutes. Gently fold in half of the whipped cream and the fruit mousse. Melt the chocolate and add to the other half of whipped cream mixture and mix together gently.
- Layer the persimmon, fruit cream on top of hazelnut crust and top with the chocolate mousse. Garnish with fresh raspberries. Refrigerate 2 hours.
Mr. A’s Easy-as-Persimmons Treat
This fresh, tasty, and colorful, concoction, created by our very own Mr. Anderson, is a delightful blend of sweet and tart and is the perfect escape into the whimsical this season.
- Persimmons (ripe)
- Greek yogurt or whipped cream
- pound cake loaf (store bought)
- Cut the tops off the ripened persimmons.
- Scoop the inside of the fruit into small cups.
- Top with plain Greek yogurt or whipped cream.
- Serve immediately.