PLANTING AMARYLLIS BULBS
Christmas is coming! In fact, the big day is just 6 weeks away. Add a natural element to your holiday décor with Amaryllis. Now is the time to get Amaryllis bulbs planted so they are they are perfectly bloomed for Christmas. Available in assorted colors and sizes, this big bloom will spread big Christmas cheer.
Amaryllis bulbs typically take 6 weeks to bloom so you'll want to get them planted now. Forcing the bloom is easy. Just follow these simple steps:
- Choose a shallow container, small glass vase, bowl or bulb vase. For Amaryllis, you want a container that does not have a hole in it and will hold water.
- Fill the container three-quarters full of gravel or polished stones. Small to medium sized gravel or stone works best. You can even use glass or marbles. If using a bulb vase, you can opt to leave it empty but it can become top heavy.
- Place the bulbs on the gravel or other filler.
- Fill your container with water just to the bottom of the bulb. Do not submerge the bulb totally in water.
- Place in a well-lit room and keep the water level just below the bulbs.
- As the leaves appear and the bloom stalks emerge they may become heavy or fall over. Try tying the stalks together or staking them for added support.
Time your blooms just right with our AMARYLLIS BULB PLANTING CALENDAR >>