Decadent and rich but with a fresh and fragrant nuances, this strawberry chocolate mint pie is a heavenly balance of sweet and soothing.
1 egg yolk
1/2L whole milk
5 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean
1 pound of strawberries
Chef Jeff’s Chocolate Mint
Ceramic balls (or dry beans) for baking crust
- Dice butter and mix with flour and salt until grainy.
- Add egg yolk, then assemble the dough into a ball.
- Mill the dough by pressing the palm of the hand on the edges of the dough to make it smooth. Repeat 4-5 times.
- Assemble the dough into a ball and let rest 2 hours.
- In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil with the vanilla bean (cut in half) over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks and sugar in a small bowl. Add flour, mixing until smooth and free of lumps.
- Thin egg-yolk mixture with approximately 1/4 cup of warm (not boiling) milk mixture.
- When remaining milk begins to boil, add it to egg-yolk mixture, and stir well.
- Return to saucepan, and place over high heat.
- Cook, whisking constantly, until pastry cream thickens and boil (approx one minute.) Turning the pan as you whisk helps to easily reach all areas of pan.
- Put into a bowl and let cool.
- Roll the dough into a large disc and place into pie plate. Line with parchment paper and fill with ceramic balls or dry beans.
- Cook in the oven 350f for 25mn.
- When it's done cooling down put the crème pâtissière inside.
- Chop the mint and add on top of crème.
- Cut the strawberries in half and place on pie (working from the outside in, in a circular pattern).
- Top with a sprig of mint.