This Week’s Cuisine du Jardin/w Chef Manu Featuring Crème Brûlée
A delicate balance of aromatic and sweet, crème brûlée infused with lavender is an ethereal play of perfumes for the palate.
• 2 cups heavy cream
• ½ cup whole milk
• 5 lavender flowers (Monrovia Hazel Lavender)
• 1 vanilla bean
• 6 egg yolks
• ¾ cup sugar
6 terracotta medium-sized cassolettes
1. Preheat oven to 260°F
2. In a medium saucepan bring cream, milk, lavender, and vanilla bean to a boil. Remove immediately from heat to infuse flavors.
3. Separate egg yolks (discard whites) and whip with sugar until mixture reaches a light yellow color.
4. Slowly pour cream into egg mixture using a mesh strainer.
5. Gently whip until smooth.
6. Pour about ½ inch of water into a metal baking pan.
7. Place cassolettes evenly in pan and pour mixture slowly to the top of each.
8. Bake at 260° F for 1 hour 20 minutes.
9. Let chill for at least 5-6 hours (preferably overnight)
10. When ready to serve, coat top of crème brûlée with granulated sugar.
11. If possible, caramelize until golden brown with handheld torch. If no torch is available, set oven to “broil” and remove when tops bronze.
Yield: 6 medium-sized cassolettes (a variety of sizes pictured)