McDonald Garden Center began as a partnership between two brothers in 1945 in Hampton, Virginia. In the 1950's a diversity of plants and products made the operation a full-line garden center. New buildings and plant display areas met the growing needs of Peninsula gardeners. In 1973, Eddie Anderson and his wife Sara purchased the garden center. With a commitment to improving the quality of life through the business of gardening, McDonald Garden Center grew rapidly in size and structure.
In spring 2009, McDonald unveiled the first Garden Market in Poquoson, Virginia. Now, Garden Markets have expanded throughout the Southside, the Peninsula and up into Williamsburg with 15 seasonal locations. These Garden Markets provide quality plants and garden accessories from mid-March through July.
Today, McDonald Nurseries, Inc. is a multifaceted business with the following:
• Three Year-Round Garden Centers
• Multiple Seasonal Garden Markets (open spring & summer)
• Production Facility
• Landscape Design & Installation Division