Passionate about plants? WE DIG PASSIONATE PEOPLE!
Founded 75 years ago, McDonald Garden Center is a family-owned and operated garden center and landscape company. We offer a wide selection of high-quality products and services. This multifaceted business includes two year-round garden centers, seasonal garden markets, and a landscape division. We are looking for dedicated and motivated team members to continue our tradition of excellence.
RECEIVING ASSOCIATE- INDEPENDENCE LOCATION
GREEN GOODS BUYER-MULTIPLE LOCATIONS
McDonald Garden Center is seeking a Green Goods Buyer with specialties in either trees and shrubs or perennials. This position is responsible for planning, procurement, & assuring the availability of green goods for sale at our retail stores and garden markets. Green Goods Buyer reports to the Vice President of Purchasing; This is a full-time job.
• Create purchasing plans for the department product categories.
• Execute purchasing plans to include product selection, quantity and stock levels, retail pricing, delivery details and timetables and warehouse considerations. Ensure profit goals are achieved.
• Assist in the strategy and plans for seasonal product.
• Provide merchandising direction and coordinate with marketing department.
• Provide both internal and external customers with the highest quality plant material by incorporating customer feedback, market trends, and historical analysis.
• Develop the yearly plant purchasing plan for the upcoming season, make adjustments and partner with the Vice President of Purchasing to maintain pricing.
• Continually develop a network of potential vendors and suppliers. Maintain strong relationships and set expectations with vendors and suppliers. Some over-night travel to growers is required.
• Source product to fulfill the yearly plan. Search for specialty or specimen product to fit unique applications. Source additional product to meet new needs of internal and external customers.
Qualifications & Experience
• Computer proficiency in Excel and spreadsheet analysis is required. Become thoroughly familiar with our computer system and apply its resources to analyze and improve the department.
• Experience buying green goods is a plus.
• Basic horticulture knowledge preferred.
• Ability to negotiate pricing and logistics
• Aggressive self-starter
• Able to work collaboratively as part of a team
• Willing to work 5-6 days a week with a flexible schedule of days, weekends, and holidays
McDonald Garden Center is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other category as protected by law.
Pay & Benefits offered:
• $30,000-$35,000 per year (paid every other week) Paid time off
• Health insurance
• Dental insurance
• Vision Insurance
• Employee discounts
• Able to stand for extended periods of time
• Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
• Work both indoors and outdoors in extreme weather conditions; heat, cold and rain.
Mail: McDonald Garden Center
Attn: Human Resource Department
1139 W. Pembroke Ave
Hampton, VA 23661